Friday, September 19, 2014

More Numb Than Dumb

     I was at the dentist the other day and asked the hygienist why there was no music playing in the background. Music, I told her, helps me get through my dental appointments. So she logged onto Pandora, which can piped into the room, and asked what musical genre I preferred. She pronounced the word genre incorrectly, making it sound like 'jean-ra.' I am always correcting my kids, and sometimes other people if the situation warrants, but instantly reached the decision not to make an issue of it here. 
     After all, in a few moments the hygienist would be holding a sharp instrument in my mouth.
     After poking around in there a bit (which I didn't mind too much because of the soothing music), she said, "Hmmm..." That's never a good sign. The music stopped being soothing. Then she turned around to the counter behind me and referred to my chart. "Last time you were here you had anastasia," she said. Naturally, I assumed she was mispronouncing yet another word--the word anesthesia. Again, I let it go, but this time I had to respond, simply because I had not had anesthesia during my last appointment. So I told her so.
     "Yes, you did," she insisted.
     "No I didn't! I think I'd remember something like that, don't you?"
      "It says it right here," she said, getting just a tad frustrated. "Look. Anastasia cleaned your teeth last time. She's nicer than I am, anyway."
     Yes, I felt foolish, and I told her that she was nice, too. Very nice. After all, she was about to put a sharp instrument back in my mouth.

 

___________________________

Please click on Older Posts for answers to the questions:
  • What's a Shondell?
  • Can we talk?
  • Are there inexpensive prostitutes for sale?
  • Do cops giggle?
  • Are there instant rabbis?

... and more. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment